Have you ever heard your parents or grandparents say this word?
Being from Trinidad and Tobago we often take for granted our own Trinbagonian lexicon. Although we mainly speak English, we have been heavily influenced by various other cultures. Like the Spanish culture for instance.
Over the years, and through mimicry we have adapted and adopted many of these words.
Today's word in our Trinbago Talk Tuesdays comes from bizcuerno (a) which is an adjective meaning twisted in Spanish.
"Sometimes I feel that translating something– or the choice of not translating something and letting it exist in one language–is a move that I’m starting to do more. I just go back to abstraction and find some safe space there. When referencing this subject and materiality, I feel like I’m always cautious of the language I might impose onto the materials or the subjects within my work, because any kind of form of language structure might be a trap or slippery zone." -Alejandro JIménez-Flores @alejandrojflores on experimenting with language and materiality in their works 🌸🌺🌸❇️
N E W #interview by Cecilia Kearney @ceciliatido 🔗 in bio
📸: 1. Photo by Cecilia Kearney
2. Alejandro Jiménez-Flores, una noche maravillosa —a wonderful night, 2019, soft-pastels, flower petals dyes, and plaster on muslin, 9×11 in. Image courtesy of Apparatus Projects. Photo by Julian Van Der Moere.
3. Alejandro Jiménez-Flores, una noche maravillosa —a fantastic night, 2019, soft-pastels, flower petals, and plaster, 8 x 10.5 in. (Detail). Image courtesy of Apparatus Projects. Photo by Julian Van Der Moere.
4. Alejandro Jiménez-Flores, una noche maravillosa —a fantastic night, 2019, soft-pastels, flower petals, and plaster, 8 x 10.5 in. Cathy Hsiao, Clamp (3), 2019, concrete, plant dye, silicone, 16 x 5 in. Cathy Hsiao, Clamp (I), 2019, concrete, plant dye, silicone, 43.5 x 5 in. Image courtesy of Apparatus Projects. Photo by Julian Van Der Moere
Use these alternatives (synonyms) in speaking and writing to improve the quality of your speeches and essays or just to sound cooler 😎! You may hear some of these alternatives in the listening or reading section of TOEFL or IELTS exams.
Red crossed out words = easy words;
blue bold words = target words;
purple underlined words = review words.
- nosedive (v): fall suddenly and sharply Synonyms: fall sharply, plummet, tumble, take a nosedive Often used for prices, value, profits and other economic indicators
- response (n): a reaction but can also mean an answer Synonyms: reply, retaliation, reciprocation
- executive (n): a senior manager, especially in an organization Synonyms: chief, head, senior administrator
- hold somebody liable (v): think that somebody is responsible for something negative like an error, accident Synonyms: hold accountable, lay/put the blame on, hold responsible
#workoftheweek with Philipp Goldbach!
Philipp Goldbach uses a wide range of media to explore the relationship between time and written language.
He became known for his series ‘Blackboards and Micrograph’ (2010) for which he photographed chalkboards in rooms at various German universities where great thinkers such as Martin Heidegger and Theodor Adorno once taught. Often concerned with philosophical ideas, Goldbach transcribes seminal philosophical texts in impossibly small pencil handwriting or into the circuit of a Read Only Memory board, yielding large yet arduously intricate drawings and minimalist sculptures that hark back to outmoded forms of technology and highlight the “materiality of information” •
Image: Philipp Goldbach
‘Disseratio De Arte combinatoria (G.W. Leibniz), Read Only Memory’ 2016
Double-sided, cooper-coated, epoxy resin glass fabric laminate, electrical components, lead solder
106.5 x 106.5 cm
This work is also currently on view in our summer exhibition here at the gallery, on until the end of August • #workoftheweek#artwork#contemporaryart#sculpture#time#language#philosophy#technology#information#philippgoldbach#goldbach#artist#galleryartist#artgallery#annelyjuda#annelyjudafineart
I can't even... .
Being unpretentious* doesn't excuse bigotry; it only reveals it 🤦🏻♀️. Sure, don't be pretentious, and while at it, work on reducing bigotry 🤷🏻♀️. *When folks think that being accepting of their bigotry makes it okay to remain a bigot.* That.
Making Waves is A #Language . What is Your Language?
"Let Your Life Dance Lightly on the Edges of Time like #Dew on the Tip of A #Leaf ." - Rabinadrath Tagore - The Ambience of Viewing.
Vantage point is everything. If you drive your car, you can't drive it and enjoy viewing it from the outside #simultaneously , just imagine it. It is like watching a #fountain , but not yet able to see little elves carrying each drop, how it #reflects .
Dew drops must be some of the most #beautiful things.
There are #three categories of waves, I am thinking about this week:
Longitudinal wave *s - #Movement of the particles are parallel to the motion of the energy....People #sailing past each other in the sea of life across time.
Transverse #wave *s - movement of the particles are at right angles (perpendicular) to the motion of the energy....Cresting and troughing through life, with others on this #journey .
Surface wave *s - #particles travel in a circular motion....across the #ages .
2. Drops on a creeper by Alberto Ghizzi Panizza.
3. https://youtu.be/D0SDi2gq_U8 New Seekers Circles
4. @silvanatimbo profile repost
5. Copyrighted Sharm. T. P. - 2008 to 2018, W/H 14cm x 21cm - Sailing on the 7 Seas: Memories in Ice - The Ship
⏺️"I will" Vs "I'm going to"
🔸 قسمت اول ✒️ حتما موقعیت استفاده این دو ساختار در آینده برای بیان یک تصمیم رو یاد بگیرید.
✒️سعی کنید خودتون رو در موقعیتهای مشابه تصور کنید و کلی جمله بسازید. تخیل خودتون رو به کار بگیرید.
🌹 مرسی که با لایک و کامنت به ما انرژی میدین 🙏♥️